If creating pins is one of your favorite Destination Imagination (DI) activities, you’re not alone! From teams to Appraisers to Affiliate staff and volunteers, thousands of pins are traded at DI events each year.
To protect our organization, teams, Affiliates and volunteers, it’s important to remember that pins created for DI events must follow our pin guidelines below. (You can also view these guidelines in our Brand & Style Guide.) Teams, Affiliates or volunteers who have questions regarding their pin designs should contact their Licensed Pin Vendor directly. Visit our Licensed Pin Vendors page to view our vendors for the 2017-18 DI season.
COMMERCIALLY MADE PINS
The following applies to all commercially made pins designed and created by teams and individuals:
- In order to participate in pin trading at Global Finals, commercially produced pins must be made by a Licensed Pin Vendor that has been approved by Destination Imagination, Inc.
- Teams and individuals may NOT use the Destination Imagination, Inc.® name or any Destination Imagination, Inc. logos, including the “box and ball,” Global Finals or Challenge logos, on any commercially made pins. Any team or individual pins that violate this will not be sanctioned or condoned by Destination Imagination, Inc.
- Teams and individuals may NOT use the word “DI” on their pins. “DI” is a mark that is not owned by Destination Imagination, Inc. for use on pins.
- Teams and individuals may NOT include their Affiliate initials combined with “DI” in any manner, whether hyphenated or without a space between them (e.g., NJ-DI, MADI, etc.).
- Teams and individuals are prohibited from infringing on a person’s or company’s intellectual property. Teams and individuals may work with Licensed Pin Vendors to create appropriate designs that do not violate relevant copyright law. It is the responsibility of the Licensed Pin Vendor to ensure and communicate adherence to copyright laws.
Teams and individuals may also purchase stock pins, available on the open market, for pin trading at Destination Imagination events.
If you would like to work with a different pin vendor, they must purchase a 2017-18 Pin Vendor License and adhere to our pin guidelines.
Please note: Old (vintage) pins may still be traded at Global Finals. However, we encourage you not to trade illegally copyrighted pins.
If you have any questions regarding your pin design, contact your Licensed Pin Vendor directly.
- Teams and Individuals registered with a Destination Imagination Affiliate may produce handmade art (homemade or made by the team members).
- No license fee to Destination Imagination, Inc. is required as long as the total number of each handmade product is less than 21 per team and the team has made them themselves.
- Vendors or commercial establishments are NOT allowed to participate in the production of these handmade products.
ADDITIONAL INFO FOR PIN VENDORS
All Licensed Pin Vendors are required to purchase a license through Destination Imagination, Inc. Vendors may purchase a Single Affiliate License or a Multi-Affiliate License. To view the License Pin Vendor Agreement or to purchase a License, click here.
BRAND & STYLE GUIDE POLICIES
Teams and individuals must adhere to the Pin Policy guidelines as stated above. These guidelines, as well as examples of pin misuse, are now published in our Brand & Style Guide. Teams and individuals are encouraged to review this policy on page 25.