Whether you’re preparing for your upcoming Regional Tournament, Affiliate Tournament or Global Finals, using publicity to promote your team is a great way to show your community the great things you are doing and help raise some funds.
One of the best ways to do this is to contact your local newspaper, TV and radio stations. Click here to download our press release template for DI teams. Complete the press release and email it to your media outlets. To ensure your email isn’t marked as spam, we encourage you to cut and paste the press release into the body of the email, rather than sending it as an attachment. All press releases must include a contact person for reporters to follow up with.
- Present basic information on the Destination Imagination program.
- Make the case for why the local community may want to know about your team. This can include personal stories of noteworthy participants that have positively impacted your local community or something above and beyond that the team and its members have done.
- If your team is going to host a fundraising event, add that information to the press release or mention it in your email.
- Share a call to action – talk about the benefits of Destination Imagination and provide the website addresses for more information: DestinationImagination.org.
- Offer visuals – where possible, offer editors high-resolution photos or include links to videos in your pitch. Print publications typically require high-resolution photos (at least 300 dpi).
In addition to traditional media, be sure to share your team’s story on your social media channels and include the #IamDI hashtag. If your team has a designated DI team page set up, ask your friends and family members to “Like” your page so they can follow your journey.
Best of luck, teams!