It’s that time of the year again. How often have you made New Year’s resolutions that haven’t quite worked out? Whether you want to find a better job, lose weight or do some massive organizing in the house, it’s necessary to make plans—not just resolutions.
When conquering your resolution this coming year, consider these tips to help you maintain your road to success.
- Set a Realistic Goal: It’s no secret that setting unrealistic goals can lead to frustration and disappointment. Don’t overwhelm yourself. Instead, set a small, realistic and attainable goal.
- Create (and Record!) a Plan of Action: Develop a timeline and determine the short-term or long-term steps you need to take in order to reach your goal. As you work to achieve it, be sure to track and reflect on your progress.
- Think Optimistically: A positive mindset and attitude can do wonders in helping you on your mission. It’s good for the body and mind, as well as helping you cope with stress and challenges you face in the process. No matter what happens along the way, strive to keep a positive attitude!
- Share Your Goal with Friends & Family: Don’t go it alone. Your friends and family can give you additional, well-deserved support as you work toward your goal. Tell them your plan and give updates along the way.
- Don’t Beat Yourself Up: Just like solving most challenges in life, things don’t always go according to plan. Acknowledge that there will be difficulties and challenges along the way, and don’t beat yourself if you fail. Remember that it’s all part of the process. The only thing to do when you fail is to pick yourself up and try again.